Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 04:47:51 am
Home Help Search Login Register

Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Buy/Sell/Trade  |  Parts  |  Topic: ignition lock « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ignition lock  (Read 1850 times)
poupas
« on: August 16, 2004, 03:50:39 pm »

Hey all, I am looking for a ignition lock and key. I bought a "86 with no key. I am looking for someone that has one and is looking to let go for cheap. I have tried these other options:
       GM-$40.00 +tx
       EBay-$10.00US(so far)+$15.00US for shipping(that was their quote)(they dont really want to ship outside the US)
       GM(key made from VIN)-$32.00 for the codes+$5.00 for the key+tx
        I bought the car for $300, so paying 1/6th the price of the car seems a little off.
    I can pull the old ignition and get a locksmith to do it, but it would mean driving an hour out of town to get it, and then back to get the key made, then back to install it. I would like to drive out, take out the old, put in the new, and see if the motor even works. I just cant get out that way very often.
      Anyone, even a whole column would work.
                             Thanks
                                          Andrew
PS- I also priced door locks at GM, $25.00 for the lock and $30.00 for the key, each side. Insane prices.

dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 08:57:36 am »

I would like to drive out, take out the old, put in the new, and see if the motor even works.

Well if all you want to do is a "does it run" test before deciding whether or not to spend money on a new ignition lock cylinder & key, there's a cheap & easy way.

• Remove the lower instrument pod cover.
  • Remove the two bolts and two nuts which secure the steering column to the support structure under the dash.  Keep at least one hand on the steering column while removing that last bolt or nut, unless you like getting bonked on the head by a steering column.
  • remove the highbeam/lowbeam switch (1 bolt & 1 nut)
  • remove the remaining stud which holds the ignition switch
  • you can slip the ignition switch free of the actuating arm by sliding it toward the passenger side of the car
  • use a piece of stiff wire, a bent paperclip, or a small screwdriver to work the ignition switch the same way the actuating rod does.  If you push the slider in the switch all the way to the far end of the switch (toward the front of the car), you'll set it to the ACC position.  From there, each "click" is as follows:  LOCK, OFF, IGN ON, START.
Trust me, it works.  It's also the easiest way to get yourself home from a long road trip when the actuating rod grants itself a divorce from the ignition lock cylinder, and you didn't think that you'd need to bring your steering column tools with you.    Roll Eyes

I currently have a steering column out of the car, and can take photos of how everything goes together if you're interested.

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
GoFast88
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 12:19:37 pm »

This almost sounds like "how to steal a fiero" thread. Huh
Maybe this can be sent as a pm instead 
2ML67
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 01:05:49 pm »

No to steal must remove ignition cylinder and insert screw driver and turn. Other way does not unlock column. Dan
dguy
Global Moderator
OFC Post-a-holic

Got vacuum. Want boost.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 01:13:55 pm »

This almost sounds like "how to steal a fiero" thread. Huh

Hmmm, someone's feeling paranoid today.   Wink

Those instructions are a rather lengthly procedure to gain access to the ignition switch.  A side-effect of which is that the steering column becomes detatched from the supporting structure, making the car virtually undriveable.  So now not only has the would-be thief spent 30 minutes to drop the column, fished out the ignition switch, and then re-attached the steering column before making the big getaway, but he or she still has a locked steering wheel to deal with.

If you wanted to steal a car, would you rather bring a full tool set and spend 30 minutes farting around under the dashboard, or would you rather spend 15 seconds with the appropriate tools to break the ignition lock?

1984: Track car project.
1985 SE: Dead 2.8, stalled L67 swap.
poupas
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 03:10:21 pm »

Well I dont plan on stealing anything except some young girls heart but I will follow Don Guys advice and see if I can get my beast started up. Thanks for the help.
                                           Andrew
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Ottawa Fiero Club Forum  |  Buy/Sell/Trade  |  Parts  |  Topic: ignition lock « previous next »
Jump to: